"Climate change is attracting some of the tourism. The average temperature during the summers in Newfoundland and Labrador has increased by nearly four degrees Fahrenheit over the past 20 years, says David Phillips, the Canadian government's senior climatologist. From 2001 through 2005, there were an average of 123 days when the weather was 77 degrees or warmer. In 1991-1995, it averaged just 63 days. Over the last 50 years the growing season -- the gap between winter's last frost and autumn's first -- has widened by three weeks."
More Americans Warm Up To Homes in Newfoundland
by Douglas Belkin
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118653592482391230.html?mod=todays_us_nonsub_marketplace
This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I found the article very interesting and I'm happy that Newfoundland is attracting new people to the island. The attraction to the eastern Canadian provinces by Americans and Europeans has been happening in Nova Scotia for many years. I believe that a search will find that there are many Americans summering on their properties along the South and Eastern shores of the province and I expect that this will continue to be the case.
We do have a lot in common through families and friendships over a couple of hundred years which also helps.
Post a Comment