This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Question of the Week: Homelessness

A very good question. While I do think that people often treat animals better than other humans, there is a big difference. I don't think anyone is used to seeing whales or dogs lying in the street in a big city, whereas homeless people are relatively abundant. There are money and volunteers being thrown at the problem, but some simply refuse to get help. Dogs and whales can't refuse a human offer. So it appears that there needs to be a different way to approach homelessness rather than with just money and food donations. Is there any example where I city has been extremely effective in addressing homelessness?

"There's a lot of vets out here on the streets, he said. I've seen men lay right in the middle of the road and people walk by like they're not there. If that was a whale, if that was a dog, wouldn't someone save it?"

Homelessness Grows in the Shadow of the White House
by Leila Fadel
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/74025.html

No comments: