This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Term of the Day: "Fuck You" Money

I believe this term is often used in the technology/Internet industry. I presume that the amount to achieve "fuck you" money status is different for everyone, but I guess it would have to start somewhere in the millions of dollars for most people in the US. When I was younger, I'd probably define it as having enough money where I could feel comfortable walking into any establishment with flip-flops.

"An amount of wealth that enables an individual to reject traditional social behavior and niceties of conduct without fear of consequences."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fuck-you%20money

*This guy suggests that "fuck you" money is generally between $2 and $4 million because at that point you could "count on $50,000 to $100,000 in interest, or just enough to say fuck you to any unscrupulous employer, employee, or vulture capitalist you wanted."
http://www.brianlash.com/post/161938794/fuck-you-money-kinda-nsfw

*An article not about the "fuck you" number but about something called the "I'm fucked" number - not about how much do you want but about how little can you live on..
http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/national-news/portfolio/2009/02/11/Personal-Finances-in-the-New-Economy/?print=true

*Find out your "I'm fucked" number using this interactive tool...
http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2009/03/Do-the-Math/

1 comment:

chibi said...

To sum up what we discussed yesterday – it is not necessarily how much money you have that enables you to say “FY (not Fiscal Year),” rather, it is how much confidence you have in you. That being said, in order to attain the level of confidence for one to say “I do not care what other people think of me,” one (or parents) may have spend a lot of money on education, etc. I think it is experience and knowledge that leads you to a point of ultimate FY.

Further, to take flip flops as an example, you like to wear flop flops almost all the time because you reached the conclusion that they are most comfortable footwear of all and fit your style after having tried different kinds of shoes. It is based on your experience. On the other hand, for someone who can afford only a pair of flop flops, I think, may have a different idea of “good shoes.” So in this case, I suppose the monetary situation affects one’s preferences.

I am bumbling again…..it is an interesting topic to think about.