This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Bacon for Dessert

Perhaps this is why 400 diners at Blue Duck recently got sick...

"At some point in history, we decided to keep meat out of our dessert...But suddenly menus everywhre have deemed bacon an acceptable crossover...The trend probably started in 2006, when molecular gastronomist Heston Blumenthal began dazzling deep-pocketed diners at the UK's Fat Duck with bacon-and-egg ice cream."

Bacon for Dessert
by Joel Stein
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1870492,00.html

1 comment:

chibi said...

So, is bacon utilized for desserts because of its saltiness, fattiness, or meatiness? I wonder if the traditional mincemeat pie would make a return to the mainstream…..

I stumbled upon Vosges Haut-Chocolat in Soho a few years ago and spent nearly an hour selecting truffles. It was probably the first time as far as I remember when I warmed up to the colour violet/purple, which is a choice of colour scheme at Vosges that is so vivid and cute. As more chocolatier opened up in the Washington area, I have found their products at ACKC, Biagio, and even at Whole Foods, if you are interested in tasting the Bacon Bar ;)