This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Can Money Buy Happiness?

"The current economic climate underscores that third aspect of the money/happiness relationship: our happiness is affected by whether we have more or less than we used to have."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/happinessproject/

1 comment:

chibi said...

Money certainly can buy comfort, which makes it easier for you to lead a less stressful life, which, in turn, may contribute to your health. If you are in a good health, you are more likely to be happier than being sick.

I am not materialistic, but I would say a set of Eames chair and an ottoman will make me happy. It is neither because such a purchase would satisfy my acquisitive nature nor my ego to possess a famous piece of furniture, but it is a quality time I will have by sitting on the chair that makes me happy. Moreover, I would say that the happiness will also stem from the fact that my longing wish to own the char has come true.

I see a connection between money and happiness, but not in an absolute term. It (level of happiness) is too subjective based on individual experience to come up with a clean formula.

What do you think, EconMan? Can money buy happiness?