Excerpt from a recent food discussion with Todd Kliman --
Vienna, VA: Hi Todd, I eat out a fair amount and I've noticed that the appetizers are always much more appealing and end up being much better tasting than the entrees. I've started to order 3 appetizers and one entree when i go out with my husband.Have you noticed this? Why do you think that is?
Todd Kliman: You're right. In fact, if I were paying my own way, I would do exactly as you do -- tilt the balance toward appetizers. They're generally more interesting and more rewarding.In fact, when I travel and I'm footing my own bill, that's what I generally do. Unless something really grabs me on the entrees list.Why do I think that is? Here's a thought ... Just as some writers are short story writers, others are novelists. The short story writers work best when they're working within strict parameters, when they have to rely on compression and really zero in on details. Novelists are novelists because they need to stretch out and weave strands and achieve their effects by layering and multiplication, etc.I think a lot of chefs are short story writers. Some chefs can do both stories and novels. But a lot of chefs tend to lose their way when they move from a smaller form to a larger form.
This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment