I would probably just say "it's fine." The word satisfactory sounds too proper and negative...
Q: My wife and I frequently eat at restaurants. It is common for waiters - or even the manager - to ask during or after the meal whether we like the food. Sometimes, when the food is not good, I say so. What usually follows is an overblown show of concern that I find disingenuous and unproductive. Eager to avoid this sort of scene, I often lie and say "everything is fine," even when it isn't. This works well, but my wife and I are expecting our first daughter soon, and I don't like the idea of casually lying in front of her once she is old enough to understand. What is a polite, truthful way of answering the question of "How do you like the food?" without instigating an overblown response?
A: "It is satisfactory, thank you." Presumably this is truthful, because you are eating the food, and if it were unsatisfactory, you should have sent it back. Such a tepid comment will expose the question for what it is - brazen fishing for compliments.
-From WPost's Miss Manners (July 29, 2009)
This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree. According to some dictionaries, "satisfactory" means adequate or acceptable, both of which have more negative connotation than positive in everyday use.
I may even say "it's okay" to show less enthusiasm than “fine” or “good,” if I want to send off the vibe that I am not quite happy with the meal.
It occurred to me as I was writing this, however, that it is perhaps the tone of our speech/delivery, which sends the message, rather than what we say.
Post a Comment