In Washington you will never see a business card with the word lobbyist on it. Why is that? Is it the negative image that has surfaced about lobbying? I doubt it, because you would never see the word "lobbyist" before the Abramoff lobbying scandal. I think it is a bit more nuanced than being merely a "dirty word" as some describe. I think it is more business related as a lobbyist does not want to give a business card to a Member of Congress or staffer thinking that the sole purpose of the visit is to influence their decision(s).
How to Spot a Lobbyist's Title
-"Affairs" derivatives: congressional affairs, legislative affairs, federal affairs, or government affairs
-"Associate," as in "government relations associate"
-"Vice President" or "director," such as "senior vice president for public policy" or "director, congressional relations"
-Partner in charge," for a law/Old West twist
In Washington, 'Lobbyist' by Any Other Name
by Aofie McCarthy
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8344.html
This blog is meant to capture the intersection of business, economics, politics, science, humanities, global culture, facts, figures, ideas, human nature, inventions, technology, health, food, sex...It is really an ode to life and the many things to think about and consider along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's in my title too, but I've always thought that "associate" is such a vague, undefined, therefore, useful term.
Post a Comment